Florida Hospital Cancer Institute offers the latest and most effective procedures for hysterectomy in Orlando. Your physician may recommend a hysterectomy to treat a variety of uterine conditions, including gynecologic cancer. During a hysterectomy, the uterus is removed. This may be performed alone or in combination with other procedures, such as a suspension for prolapsed bladder. Hysterectomy procedures may be total (where both the uterus and cervix are removed) or subtotal (where only the uterus is removed). To learn more about the procedures we offer for hysterectomy in Orlando, or to schedule an appointment, call (407) 303-1700 or click here to fill out an online assistance form.o learn more
Your physician may recommend a hysterectomy to treat the following conditions:
- Uterine fibroids that cause pain, bleeding, or other problems
- Uterine prolapse, which is a sliding of the uterus from its normal position into the vaginal canal
- Cancer of the uterus, cervix, or ovaries
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Adenomyosis, or a thickening of the uterus
Types of Hysterectomy
There are three types of hysterectomy:
- Total or Simple Hysterectomy: The uterus, including the cervix, is removed but the surgeon leaves the connective tissue surrounding the uterus, the sacrum and the vagina in place.
- Radical Hysterectomy: The entire uterus, the surrounding tissues and the upper part of the vagina (about 1” near the cervix) are removed.
- Supracervical Hysterectomy: Removal of uterus sleeve persevering the cervix – rarely indicated medically.
Types of Hysterectomy Procedures
To perform a hysterectomy, your surgeon may use one of three methods to remove the affected organs and tissue:
- Abdominal Hysterectomy: The surgeon makes an incision across the abdomen to gain access to the tissue and organs that need to be removed.
- Vaginal Hysterectomy: The uterus and cervix are removed through the vagina, which is kept open using special instruments. There are no external incisions.
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: This is a minimally invasive procedure where the uterus and cervix are detached using laparoscopic tools inserted through a small incision. The organs are then removed through another incision at the top of the vagina.
A new option, a robotic hysterectomy is also conducted using small incisions. The surgeon guides micro-instruments through the incisions and uses high definition, real time imaging to make precise cuts during the surgery. The da Vinci® robotic technology used provides greater accuracy and better outcomes while leaving the surrounding nerves and tissues alone. Benefits include a shorter stay in the hospital, less pain and scarring, reduced blood loss, fewer infections and complications and the ability to return to your normal routine more quickly. After Hysterectomy more advanced procedures for difficult pathalogy can be performed with da Vinci rather than traditional laprosurgery with less risk for conversion to open procedures. Learn more about da Vinci® Robotic Hysterectomy.Back to Top
Request an Appointment
To learn more about the procedures we offer for hysterectomy in Orlando, or to schedule an appointment, call (407) 303-1700 or click here to fill out an online assistance form.o learn moreBack to Top