Dr. Patel is a board-certified urologist who has performed more robotic surgeries than any other surgeon worldwide, including more than 8,500 robotic prostatectomies to date. As Medical Director of the Global Robotics Institute at Florida Hospital and Director of Urologic Oncology at Florida Hospital Cancer Institute, he specializes in minimally invasive, robotic-assisted procedures to address cancers of the bladder, kidneys and prostate and reconstruct elements of the urinary system.
A recognized authority in his field, Dr. Patel devotes considerable energy to helping train fellow surgeons around the world in the use of the latest robotic surgical techniques and tools in order to improve patient care and outcomes. He teaches advanced courses in robotic surgery for the American Urologic Association and is an active Professor of Urology at the University of Central Florida and Clinical Associate Professor of Urology at Nova Southeastern University. He also retains honorary professorships at several prestigious international universities and medical societies, including the University of Milan, the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Asian School of Urology, Ricardo Palma University College of Medicine in Peru, Korea University Hospital and the University of the State of Rio de Janeiro, and he has provided robotic surgery instruction or helped create new robotic surgery programs at numerous medical teaching facilities worldwide.
Dr. Patel has co-authored or contributed to more than a dozen medical textbooks on topics including robotic surgery, minimally invasive urologic procedures, prostate cancer, robotic prostatectomy, emerging surgical technology, robotics in genitourinary surgery and others, and his work has appeared in more than 100 peer-reviewed medical journals.
Prior to joining Florida Hospital, Dr. Patel served as Director of the Center for Robotic and Computer-Assisted Surgery and as an Associate Professor of Urology and Bioinformatics at The Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio.
Dr. Patel has been designated as one of America’s Top Doctors® and as one of America’s Top Urologists by Castle Connolly Medical and U.S. News & World Report, establishing him as among the top 1 percent of doctors nationwide. He is also a founder and director of the International Prostate Cancer Foundation and a founding editor and editor emeritus of the Journal of Robotic Surgery.
Dr. Patel earned his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine in Texas and completed a urology residency and subsequent urology fellowship at the University of Miami School of Medicine in Florida. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
- Robotic Prostatectomy
- Prostate Cancer
- Urinary Reconstruction
- Bladder Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
Awards and Honors
- America’s Top Doctors® (2010-2015), Castle Connolly and U.S. News & World Report
- Top Doctors® for Cancer (2006-2007, 2009-2012, 2014-2015)
- Honoris Causa Degree, Russian Academy of Sciences (2013)
- America’s Top Urologists (2009)
- Orlando Business Journal Top 40 Under 40
- BusinessFirst Magazine Top 40 Under 40 (Columbus, OH)
- BusinessFirst Magazine Healthcare Hero Finalist
- Ethicon Endosurgery, Laparoscopy Scholar of the Year
- American College of Surgeons Award for Academic Excellence
- American College of Surgeons Award for Service
- Pfizer Scholar of the Year/Outstanding Academic Achievement Award
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Outstanding Resident Award
- American College of Surgeons 1st Prize Presentation for Basic Science Research
- Robotic Surgery Research
- Prostate Cancer Research
- Founding Editor and Editor Emeritus, Journal of Robotic Surgery
- Contributing author/editor of more than 15 medical textbooks
- 100+ articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals
410 Celebration Place, Suite 200
Celebration, FL 34747